The Cabinet recently made the decision to offer free nighttime electricity to ger district residents. The Head of Pricing at the Energy Regulatory Commission, B.Bolor-Erdene, provided Zuunii Medee with more details about the implementation of the decision.

The decision to offer free nighttime electricity to ger district residents was supposed to be implemented on January 1. Has the decision not yet been implemented?

The decision to offer free nighttime electricity was made on December 28. December 29 was a public holiday. Since the Cabinet addresses a wide variety of issues, the decree has not yet been finalized. However, ger district residents will be offered free nighttime electricity from January 1 to April 1.

Do households have to fulfill any requirements before being offered free nighttime electricity? For example, do they have to have a separate meter for day and nighttime electricity readings?

Around 90 percent of households in the ger districts of Ulaanbaatar have an electricity meter with a day and nighttime setting. The remaining 10 percent will be offered electricity meters at a discounted price.

Offering free nighttime electricity will increase the energy grid’s workload. How will you manage this?

Taking into account the capabilities of the power supply network, the maximum energy allotment for households that use 220V will be 700 kilowatts per hour, and households that use 380V will have a maximum energy allotment of 1,500 kilowatts per hour.

How many households will be offered free nighttime electricity? How much money will they save?

A total of 146,000 households will be offered free electricity from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Current estimates show that these households will collectively save around 4.8 billion MNT. As electricty use increases in the future, we forecast that the economic benefits for these households will also increase.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here